The world’s leading search engine often updates and improves its search algorithm. Here is a timeline of the most recent and notable ones date:
July 2015 – Panda 4.2
- Google announces Panda 4.2 data refresh targeting “low-quality” or “thin” sites. The update is expected to take months to fully roll out.
May 2015 – Phantom 2
- Operating on a page level, this update was a quality filter that changed how Google processes quality signals.
April 2015 – Mobilegeddon
- An algorithm update targeting non-mobile friendly sites and rewarding those that were mobile friendly/responsive.
October 2014 – Pirate 2.0
- Search update tdownrank some torrent sites. This update targeted piracy sites that had a high number of valid copyright removal notices.
October 2014 – Penguin 3.0
- Google launches a Penguin refresh after more than a year targeting sites that violate Google’s Guidelines specifically by black-hat link building and schemes.
September 2014 – Panda 4.1
- Google’s 28th Panda Update was designed tfilter thin and poor content from ranking well.
August 2014 – HTTPS/SSL Update
- An algorithm update tgive secure, SSL sites a slight rank boost.
July 2014 – Pigeon
- This updated specifically targeted results on a local level by providing more relevant and accurate local search results.
June 2014 – Payday Loan 3.0
- Shortly after Payday Loan 2.0 was launched, this algorithm specifically targets “very spammy queries”.
May 2014 – Panda 4.0
- Major update tstop low-quality sites from ranking. Affects 7.5% of English-language websites.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):